Why Turmeric is a Magic Ingredient
Turmeric is the jack of all trades: a spice that does it all! Turmeric is filled with healing properties that make it a great choice for problems relating to digestion, skin, and even hangover! Who wouldn't love spice like that?
Turmeric is abundantly available in Southeast Asia and is a staple in many cuisines. Its main ingredient curcumin is what gives it an orangish-yellow hue. Turmeric is anti-inflammatory which is responsible for making it a healing agent. The Eastern cultures are well-acquainted with its magical qualities of it and the West has started to recognize it. Turmeric can be a beneficial thing if one is facing skin issues. Let's dive into the benefits that turmeric has for the skin.
Benefits of turmeric
- Oil control: Turmeric helps reduce excess sebum production in the skin. Sebum is an oily substance that is responsible for making the skin oily.
- Fights acne: By controlling excess oil production, turmeric in turn helps fight acne. Its anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and antibacterial properties help reduce redness and further infections.
- Fights skin diseases: As stated in the previous point, turmeric is loaded with anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, and antibacterial properties. This helps prevent skin diseases such as psoriasis, eczema, and even wounds.
- Skin brightening: Turmeric has been used for centuries now for bringing a "glow" to the face. This is because the antioxidant curcumin can lighten pigmentation.
- Reduces fine lines, wrinkles, pigmentation, and facial hair: The application of turmeric on skin or its mixture with other ingredients can help reduce the appearance of facial hair, fine lines, wrinkles, and dark spots on the skin.
Uses of turmeric
Turmeric is really an all-around and versatile ingredient that can give you radiant skin. Finding skincare products with turmeric as an active ingredient could help you combat various skin issues.
A face pack that has turmeric as an active ingredient can be used effectively to fight acne. Meanwhile, a turmeric face wash can be used to brighten the skin. Since face serums are all the rage these days, choosing a face serum with turmeric extracts can be used to reduce the appearance of any fine lines and wrinkles on the face.
Turmeric has been the beauty secret of our ancestors for a long time. It is often used and applied topically after mixing with other ingredients. These homemade beauty remedies often pair up turmeric with ingredients such as gram flour (besan), yogurt, chickpea powder, sandalwood powder, milk, and honey, to name a few. While it has great benefits, the only drawback of using this ingredient is that it could stain fabrics and the skin for a short period. Apart from this, this spice is your best friend if you are aiming for glowing, clear skin.